Water Meters and Type “F” Permits

There seems to be a lot of confusion about water meters and who has to have them. The State of Colorado requires water meters on some wells. Commercial and Irrigation wells are required to have meters.  Most residential wells are not required to have meters. Locally only wells with permits whose numbers end with a “–F” are required to have meters. Additionally the wording in the Permit will specify if a meter is required. A few subdivisions and certain filings within other subdivisions are issued type “F” permits. Generally speaking these subs had a problem with their water augmentation plan or lack there of.  Thus the “F” has come to stand for ‘messed up’ or something similar.  So the State required these well to be metered.  Domestic or ‘Household Use Only’ these F’s are the only wells normally required to have meters. — David Nequette

Posted in Permits, Water Meters

Contact Us

105 CR 241
P.O. Box 186
Westcliffe, CO 81252

Phone: (719) 783-3000
Email: nequettedrilling@gmail.com

FREE ESTIMATES for Drilling,
Water Systems & Excavations

  • Water Well Drilling
  • Well Fracturing
  • Septic Systems
  • General Excavation
  • Complete Water Systems
  • Site Planning Consultation

Information Packages Available

Driving Directions:

  • From State Hwy 96 in Westcliffe
  • Turn North on 3rd St
    (State Hwy 69)
  • Go 1/4 mile to County Rd 241
    (at fairgrounds)
  • Turn right and take immediate left into parking lot

License #1043
Bonded & Insured
40+ Years Experience